In the United States, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May and this year will fall on 12 May.
Mother’s Day is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in March, April or May, as a day to honor mothers and motherhood.
In most countries Mother’s Day is a recent observance derived from the holiday as it evolved in the United States. When adopted by other countries and cultures it was given different meanings, associated to different religious, historical and legendary events, and celebrated on different dates.
In my country (Indonesia), we celebrate Mother’s Day, known as Hari Ibu, on December 22nd.
Why December 22nd ?
Indonesia’s Mother’s Day or known as ‘Hari Ibu’ contains many historical, philosophical and cultural meanings. It is the day of the first Indonesian Women’s Congress held on Dec. 22-26 in 1928, in Yogyakarta. It was originally aimed to celebrate the spirit of Indonesian women and to improve the condition of the nation.
Today, Mother’s Day is celebrated by expressing love and gratitude to mothers. The role of mothers is highly treasured. We could not imagine how a family would be without mothers performing their roles and responsibilities. There are countless tasks that fall to mothers, from birthing, nursing, diapering, nose-wiping and nurturing.
Nothing compares to what mothers do daily. What they do is priceless and dignified. An Islamic adage says that “heaven lies at Mother’s feet”.
On this precious Mother’s Day, while listening to an old song ‘Mother How Are You Today’ by Maywood band, a Dutch pop group in the 1970s and 1980s I am thinking of cooking ‘Ayam Goreng Mentega’ or Fried Chicken in Sweet Butter Sauce.
Fried Chicken in Sweet Butter Sauce is very special and one of the Indonesian comfort foods which my Mother used to cook for me when I was a kid. And now, I often cook this dish for my children – history repeated :-)
The best way to enjoy ‘Ayam Goreng Mentega’ is eating it with our fingers. Licking the juices and spices off our fingers at the end of the meal is part of the sublime experience.
There are so many different recipes of ‘Ayam Goreng Mentega’ available and the following is my signature recipe – a modified version from here & there:
- 10 pieces of chicken upper wings or drum sticks – you may use 1 whole chicken cut up into 8 or 10 pieces. I like the upper part of chicken wings
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- Pinch of salt and 1 Maggie blocks (crushed)
- Marinate the chicken wings in salt, Maggie block, and lemon juice for 15 minutes
- Heated up oil and fried the chicken until golden brown, set aside
Ingredients for Sweet Butter Sauce
The unique taste of this sauce is the mix of 3 different sauces: Kikkoman soy sauce, Kecap Manis Bango and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, thinly slice
- 2 table spoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce or ABC Kecap Inggris
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce “Kecap Manis Bango”
- Heated up a wok, saute the garlic and onion for a minute
- Add butter, Kikkoman sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Kecap Manis Bango
- In medium heat (so it won’t burn), stir fry for a few minutes and then add in the fried chicken
- Cook through until the sauce starts or in the beginning to caramelize
Serve warm with rice.