A STEAMY drink in a ceramic mug is utterly essential in cold weather. When the chill of the night creeps in through the cracks of the house, blanket may warm you up, but not from the inside.
Hot drinks are the old-fashioned way to stay warm in cold weather, not to mention the most economical.
While the traditional teas, coffees and hot chocolates are by no means out of fashion, I am thinking of some more interesting variations of hot drinks.
And they are recipes of traditional Indonesian hot drinks which can help to stay warm during cold weather.
Ginger Tea (Wedang Jahe)
Ginger tea or popular as Wedang jahe is indonesian traditional healthy drink, made from pure fresh ginger
- 500 ml water
- 1 ginger roots
- sugar rock
- 2 cinnamon stick (optional)
How to make:
- Bruise the ginger roots by beating it until the fibers appear.
- Boil water, then put the ginger roots into pot. Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Filter the ginger juice and pour it into cups.
- Add sugar rock. stir.
- Put cinnamon stick, ready to serve
Bajigur is a typical hot drink Sundanese people of West Java, Indonesia. Its main ingredient is palm sugar , and coconut milk. To add to the enjoyment also mixed a little ginger, salt and vanilla powder.
- 300 grams palm sugar
- 100 grams white sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 pieces of pandan leaf
- 350 ml of water
- 900 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coffee powder
- White bread to taste
How to make:
- Mix palm sugar, granulated sugar, salt, pandan leaves and water.
- Simmer until it is really boiling, remove and strain.
- Pour in coconut milk into the mixture, and cook until cooked through.
- Serve in cups or small bowls with bread or a little plus coffee powder (if liked).
Sekoteng is ginger drink and usually served hot. Other ingredients are mixed into a drink sekoteng are green beans, peanuts, pacarcina (a kind of jelly) and chunks of bread.
Sekoteng is usually sold by street vendor using a push cart who walks around residential areas in the evening.
- 300 ml of water
- 200 grams of granulated sugar
- 50 grams of ginger, thinly sliced
- 5 pieces of pandan leaf
- 3 grains of fennel
- 3 cm cinnamon
For the Content:
- 2 pieces of skinless white bread, cut into pieces
- 50 grams of roasted peanuts
- 50 grams of boiled green beans
- 50 grams of boiled kolang-kaling (indonesian date fruit)
- 50 grams of pacarcina (a kind of jelly), boiled
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to Make :
- Boil water with sugar, ginger, pandan leaf, fennel, and cinnamon to boil. Lift and then strain.
- Put in a small bowl the pacarcina, kolang-kaling, green beans, peanuts, and bread.
- Pour in the hot ginger drink
Wedang Ronde, Colorful Delicious Hot Beverage
One of the many Indonesian traditional drink that is still easily found and enjoyed is wedang ronde.
On cold and rainy weather, this beverage is quite popular. This drink was originally better known in the area of Java, especially Central Java. Wedang literally means drink and ronde are small colorful balls of sticky rice
In the big cities like Jakarta and Yogyakarta, you’ll easily find this drink is sold by street vendors.
Traditional beverage made from ginger is believed to have healing properties, among others, throat diseases, increase stamina, nausea or carsick, and give warmth to the body.
Ingredients for the Ronde:
- 100 g glutinous rice flour
- 100 ml hot water
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- 100 g peanuts, roasted puree
- 75 g sugar
- 750 ml of water to boil round
Ingredients for the Ginger drink:
- 300 ml water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- 3 pieces of lime leaves, discard the bones leaves
- 8 pieces of ginger, crushed
- 150 g brown sugar, chopped fine
- Filling: Mix peanut and sugar, mix well, set aside
- Ronde: Mix glutinous rice flour and hot water, knead until smooth. For the dough into 3 parts, give red color on one part, green color on another part, and the remaining part let the white. Take little batter and put filling, close the back, a round shape. Do it until all done. Boil water, put ronde, cook until float, remove and insert it into sugar solution to prevent sticking together.
- Sauce: Cook brown sugar with water, lime leaves, lemongrass, and ginger to boil. Lift.
- Presentation: Place white ronde, red ronde, and green ronde in a bowl. Serve warm with ginger drink.